Thursday, January 20, 2011

In my Craft Room-INSPIRATION STATION

This week the challenge over at the Heart 2 Heart blog is to share an organizational tip or idea. I get lots of comments, emails and questions asking me how to get published in magazines. I have posted some other thoughts before that you can read about here.
Today though, I thought I would share how I organize and gather supplies for submitting. Once I get the project call email I print it out and read through it very carefully. Making notes and underlining important info. Most magazines are looking for something specific-weather it be a trend, theme or technique. And that's where I start. Lets say that Paper Crafts is looking for projects about Love and hearts. I use what I refer to as my INSPIRATION STATION! I would start by pulling out stamps/stickers and embellishments that are heart and love related and add them to this wooden trey and basket.


Next I add in some trendy items that are very popular right now-for instance dollies, buttons and tape measure strips

I also like to added in some ribbons, brads and such. One thing that I do is make frequent trips to the dollar store for cheep seasonal supplies like little notepads or pens. Lots of times I keep them stashed in boxes for the next year.

Here is thing about working for magazines, it takes alot of pre-planning to publish a magazine. So even though this is my Valentine's INSPIRATION STATION, it is more likely that right now the magazines are more focused 6-8 months away. Meaning even though it is the season of LOVE, your mind has to be set for FALL and HALLOWEEN!!

So create your very on INSPIRATION STATION, even if it's not for working on submissions put together a basket, box or whatever works for you and add some fun goodies to it. You will be surprised how much it will inspire you!!



10 comments:

Karen Day said...

Aaron, this is the COOLEST idea! Wouldn't it be wonderful to have a little inspiration area when it's time to design a workshop or something for a specific season? I think I'm off to creat one right now... Thanks for joining us at H2H this week!

Lorrinda said...

What a great idea Aaron! Forces you to use the supplies you have too, rather than running out to buy stuff to match the design in your head, then not even using it anyway (guilty :) I may try this. Thanks for sharing with us at H2H!

Dot said...

I totally LOVE this idea! You are amazing. I wouldn't have thought of this on my own. And you have the coolest pieces in there, too.

Melanie said...

Neat!! thanks for sharing that idea with the rest of us:)

Jenifer said...

what a great idea!!! Thank you for sharing this!!

Lisa Stenz said...

So that's how you create such amazing artwork! LOL! I LOVE the idea of an inspiration station. Thanks so much for sharing the idea with us!! *Ü*

Melinda Everitt said...

What a great idea! I pull out stamp sets when I am focusing on a particular theme but I never thought of pulling out the embellishments as well. Very cool.

Corina said...

Hi Aaron!
Fabulous idea and thank you for explaining it from beginning to end. Your thought process is for submissions is detailed and focused.
Thank you for sharing it with us at H2H!

Debbie Carriere said...

Love your inspiration station! Great tips. Thanks for sharing :)

Paper doll said...

I like this!! I attempted to get a inspiration station going and purchased a nice basket but I just dont have the room to set one up. I want a specific spot for it all the time. So I had to return my basket. Now show us that craft space where all that fabulous artwork is created!! :)