Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Book Review: Clan of the Cave Bear

A natural disaster leaves the young girl wandering alone in an unfamiliar and dangerous land until she is found by a woman of the Clan, people very different from her own kind. To them, blond, blue-eyed Ayla looks peculiar and ugly--she is one of the Others, those who have moved into their ancient homeland; but Iza cannot leave the girl to die and takes her with them. Iza and Creb, the old Mog-ur, grow to love her, and as Ayla learns the ways of the Clan and Iza’s way of healing, most come to accept her. But the brutal and proud youth who is destined to become their next leader sees her differences as a threat to his authority. He develops a deep and abiding hatred for the strange girl of the Others who lives in their midst, and is determined to get his revenge.

This book has been on my "short" list for awhile, and during a recent trip to the Friends of the Library sale I found a pretty tattered copy for 25cents. 
This book was hard for me. The 1st 100+ pages I felt like I was reading the worlds longest list. They walked through forests and saw oak trees, pine trees, ash trees, elm trees, maple trees, flowering trees, yellow trees, green trees...... and then they would climb a hill and see 50 other trees and 100 of animals. 
I would pick it up and read for 30 minutes and then put it down for days. I finally made myself finish it. 
I will say that the story line is wonderful- I think Ayla is such a strong woman. I also really thought Iza was such a great character-her love for Ayla was a joy to read about.

The story kinda left a cliffhanger- someday I will read the next, but I am not in a huge hurry (I have been told the next ones are much better)

1 comment:

Casandra Bennett said...

I read this back in high school and agree with you that it was very wordy at times, but that it was worth it to stick with it. I think I still have this book in my personal collection. :)